Good morning! Today is Ten Things Wednesday. If you're new to the blog, Wednesday is the day I show off my affinity for lists, sometimes food and fitness related, sometimes not. Today I am listing some of the foods that I just do not like and kind of freak me out a little bit.
You would think things like tripe (cow stomach) and chicken livers would be on this list, but no. I can actually eat those things. The things that truly skeeve me out are fairly common.
1. Cottage Cheese - This is definitely a texture thing. It reminds me of eating fish eggs. Not that I've ever eaten fish eggs, but this is what I would imagine them to taste like.
2. Fish - I have made no secret about how I do not eat fish. Everything about it skeeves me out. The taste, the smell, the texture. I was told that the secret to good fish is in the preperation. I don't buy it. Fish is still stinky.
3. Mushrooms - Unless they are chopped up really small and heavily drowned in sauce, mushrooms are a no go for me.
4. Water chestnuts - No matter how long you cook them, they are still weirdly crunchy. Yuck.
5. Chia Seeds - I just can't get past the fact that they expand and gelatinize in your stomach. Creepy.
6. Nutritional yeast - I know everyone in the blog world seems to love this stuff, and truthfully I have yet to try it and probably won't unless it's unknowingly slipped to me.
7. Beets - There are very few vegetables that I just can't stand and beets are one of them. Maybe it's the fact that they stain everything, maybe it's the fact that they smell like vomit when they're cooking, but whatever it is, there is just no way I can eat them.
8. Tab - Oh yes I went there. It was hot during the 80s and I still randomly see it in supermarkets sometimes and am automatically scared. Nothing like drinking your chemicals!
9. Sour gummies - I like the sour patch kid commercials, but when it comes to actually eating them, I just can't. Typically I like when two flavors are paired together, but sour gummies are just gross.
10. American cheese - I HATE American cheese. I think it's just about the most disgusting thing there is. I love pretty much any other kind of cheese but cannot stomach American cheese. This is one Americanized food that we got completely wrong.
What foods really turn your stomach?