I know you guys actually read my blog because you love my pessamistic self-deprecating humor, right? Then you've come to the right place! I actually like working out most of the time. Sure I complain about it, but the sense of accomplishment of a completed workout far outweighs the downsides of actually working out. With that being said, there ARE downsides...and here they are.
1. Sweat rashes. TMI maybe? Oh well, I'm just being honest! I get sweat rashes a lot, usually either under my arm, in the crook of my elbow, inside of my thigh...wherever I sweat a lot. No amount of baby powder completely cures this problem. It makes wearing shorts and a tank top unsightly in the summer.
2. Blisters. Even with careful planning, bodyglide, strategically placed bandaids and buying the correct shoes for your feet, blisters still happen. And they suck. I always manage to get blisters in the most painful and annoying places.
3. Raging hunger. The more I work out, the more I like to eat. Which completely negates the fact that I worked out. It's an endless vicious cycle.
4. Being tired at 8pm. Ok, in truth I would probably be tired at 8pm even if I didn't get up at 5:30am every morning to work out, but the working out ensures that I could put my head down at 8pm and fall asleep instantly. It also makes me completely useless at night because I'm so tired and lazy.
5. Having to shower twice. Some people like to shower. I do not. I do it out of necessity of course, but when I go to the gym in the afternoon or evening, that means I have to shower again and that makes me unhappy.
6. Sweaty ponytail hair. In case I hadn't already mentioned it, I sweat perfusely when I work out, and that usually equates to have sweat drip off of my ponytail, which is just the grossest thing.
7. The DOMS. That would be delayed onset muscle soreness for those of you who do not obsessively read fitness magazines like I do. The DOMS usually occurs the day AFTER your workout and then continues on for at least another day after that. Squats give me the worst DOMS.
8. Annoying or inadept class instructors. There is nothing worse than leaving a class feeling like you could have done more because the instructor clearly didn't know what they were doing or were just half-assing it (I have had this a lot with instructors who teach multiple classes in a day...by the time they get to the evening class, they have nothing left). It also sucks being demotivated by Fitness Barbie in her pink leotard and neon white teeth. When all you can thinking about is wanting to snap off her head, it's hard to focus on how hard you're working.
9. Permastink. You gym goers all know what I mean..."permastink" is the permanent smell your gym clothes take on no matter how many times you wash them or whatever fancy pants detergent you use. Gym clothes can clearly be distinguished as gym clothes by the way they smell.
10. Pre-planning. Working out takes a lot of pre-planning. If you're a runner, you have to plan your route, water stops, etc. If you are a morning gym goer, you have to pack a bag to go right to work, or pack a bag if you are going right after work. That's just a lot of WORK. For lazy girls like me, that's the number one reason I would skip the gym if I didn't live less than a mile away and had the option to change and shower at home.
What is your least favorite part of working out?