Friday, April 8, 2011

Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies

Happy Friday friends! In honor of the impending weekend, I'm bringing you yet another delicious cookie recipe. This one I got out of Food Network magazine. It's a little labor intensive for cookies, but well worth the effort.

Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies

Ingredients for cookies:
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups rice krispies
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 cup mini marshmallows

Ingredients for chocolate topping:
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup mini marshmallows
2 1/2 tsp half and half
pinch of cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl.

















In a seperate bowl, cream butter and sugar together.

















Beat in eggs, one at a time.

















Add vanilla and flour mixture and beat until combined.

















Stir in oats, cereal, chocolate chips, pecans, and marshmallows.


















Drop heaping tablespoons 3 inches apart on a lined cookie sheet.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

While cookies are baking, make the topping. Combine chocolate chips, marshmallows, cayenne pepper and half in half in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until smooth, about 5 minutes.

Drizzle over cookies.


















Makes 4 dozen.

Lessons learned in the making of this recipe:

- Use parchment paper. Greasing the baking sheet will NOT work, you WILL ruin your pan.
- Do not add more marshmallows because you think the cookies will be even better than the recipe. They will just make the bottom of the cookies too crusty.
- Don't mix the marshmallows in with everything else. Drop the cookies and then stick a few marshmallows on top of each cookie, this will solve the crusty issue.

In the interest of full disclosure, here is the photo of my first batch. Epic cookie fail.

















The boy was mildly concerned when he heard me cursing and slamming in the kitchen after I realized I had ruined my almost brand new cookie sheet as well as a dozen cookies (and almost a spatula as well from slapping it on the stove in frustration). I have had cooking fails before but have never ruined a pan.

I wish magazine recipes would warn you about possible catastrophes so that I hadn't wasted so much dough, but because I don't want you guys to make the same mistakes, I'm revealing that I am not a perfect cook. When everything is done correctly though, these cookies come out delicious.

Had any cooking fails lately? Do you take it in stride or do you have a little flip out like me?

11 comments:

  1. Parchment paper is a life necessity. I go through tons of it. I love the incredible number of mix-ins here. Perhaps some pretzels and potato chips are in order here.

    (I've had too many kitchen fails in the last 3 months to pick one. So I won't bother.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound great! I'm hoping to do some baking this weekend! I have baking fails sometimes because I like to make up my own recipes and well, it doesn't always taste the best! But, it's always fun to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great - thanks for those pointers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look awesome Stephanie!! Marshmallow and chocolate chips together in a cookie? Yes, pleasee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe - these look amazing!

    Happy Weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these cookies - I love marshmallows in cookies - adds such a great texture. I do have cookie flops but luckily none that I can't scrape off and eat. It would bother me if I messed up a whole batch but one group is fine with me. Last time I messed up a cookie, I just scraped up the remains and threw it in vanilla ice cream. Best mistake of my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cookies look sooo good. Now if only they could be delivered through the computer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look good. I'd actually probably like the burnt ones better :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i want to eat these RIGHT NOW! the chocolate drizzle makes them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, those look amazing! I'd even take the failures, they look chocolatey and edible to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of cayenne with chocolate. I made moo shu from scratch the other night and making the pancakes seemed like a total fail at first. I definitely freaked out!

    ReplyDelete