Thursday, September 30, 2010

No Officer, I Wasn't Texting While Driving

Today a new law went into effect in Massachusetts. The no texting while driving law. This also applies to phone calls for teen drivers. I can empathize with this law. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop texting while driving completely. How am I going to be able to drive 10 minutes down the road to work without asking a friend if she saw Gossip Girl last night? In all seriousness I know it's a good law, and I know that I shouldn't text while driving...but for someone who is as ATTACHED to their phone as me, how am I going to get by?? I really don't know if I will be able to deal with it. And I'm so good at it. Granted, the first accident I ever got into after I got my license 5 years ago was because I was texting (for those of you good at math, yes, I got my license at 23), but I've come a long way in my skills since then. Granted I'm not as fast as I used to be...

















There was actually a story on ABC News yesterday that bans alone are not effective enough to reduce the number of texting-related traffic accidents. The problem therein lies with enforcement (which in my opinion, the law is way too heavily focused on traffic related laws than real criminals already). At first the Massachusetts police will be looking to make an example of any violators, but this too shall die down eventually and go the way of seat belt laws I feel.

Does anyone else live in a state that has a texting law? What do you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment