Friday, October 1, 2010

Grill in a Box

Ew crappy weather. What a good night to go see a movie! The Social Network to be exact. I am actually really excited to see this one. I've been hearing good things left and right, even some Oscar buzz! I will also have a restaurant review for you that I will post tomorrow as well as a recipe for banana bread that is TO DIE FOR.

I did promise pictures of my dinner last night, however, it was a huge fail :( I don't have a grill at my house, so my date brought a "grill in a box"

























Oh friends, I wish I was kidding, but I'm not. I forgot to take a picture of the actual one he brought, but it looked exactly like this I assure you. We fired the grill in a box up and it flamed right up. The instructions said to let the flames die and start cooking when the coals were just red but not flaming (elapsed time said 15 minutes). It was very exciting to watch the flames and wait for it to die down. I was extremely impressed that this little contraption was going to cook my dinner. And only for the bargain price of $2.99 the boy told me.

Assuming we had about 20 minutes of cooking time, I chopped up one regular potato (for him) and one sweet potato (for me), threw them in the oven to roast, and boiled up some green beans. Well, the potatoes and green beans finished and he brought in the steak tips. Which were cold. So he went out and threw them back on the "grill in a box" for another nearly 20 minutes. After a total of 40 minutes, the steak tips were finally hot but not really cooked. Now, I like rare meat so it was no problem for me. But the boy, however, well let's just say if there is even a little pink, he gets skeeved out. So all he ended up having for dinner was a potato and some green beans. Lesson learned. If you think it's too good to be true, it probably is.

I didn't take any pictures of the steak tips since the boy was so upset about our foiled dinner, so sorry for not living up to my promises there.

I did not work out today as I was just too tired. Breakfast was a bagel since it's bagel friday and I went with my usual everything with plain cream cheese and a side of orange juice. Lunch today was a turkey sandwich, some veggie chips, and this little gem:
















I love these. I only buy a few at a time because I would eat them after every meal, but they are an extra special treat that I splurge on every once in a while. I am not a huge ice cream lover for dessert...I much prefer cookies, candy, or pie...but for only 150 calories, this little bowl satisfies my sugar craving. They have a few other varieties as well, but this one and the mixed berry are my favorites.

What do you keep on hand to satisfy your sweet cravings? Anyone else ever tried cooking on a grill in a box?

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried grill in a box, but I want it bad now!! That is the best/worst thing ever.

    I've never heard of those yogurt things either! I'll have to keep my eyes open for those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fro yo things are right next to the frozen fruit at either Shaws or Hannafords (those are the only two stores I have seen them at, Stop N Shop doesn't have them but they do have the orange sorbet things in real oranges which are AWESOME!)

    The grill in a box was a good idea in theory...but really, for only $2.99 who cares if it only warms your food?

    ReplyDelete