Thursday, October 7, 2010

Orange Glazed Tofu

So as promised, here is my go to tofu recipe that I love. I actually adapted this recipe from somewhere online a long time ago (probably at allrecipes.com or somewhere like that) but sorry I can't credit it properly. Suffice it to say it's not 100% mine.

For the orange tofu, you have to use firm tofu. I like the nasoya brand personally, but use whatever you like, just as long as it's firm. You could also substitute chicken in this recipe as well. The first step is to press your tofu between paper towels or a clean dishtowel to get out the excess water. I used a bowl of fruit as my "squisher."

















Cut the tofu into cubes and saute in 2 tbsps of olive oil and either 2 garlic cloves, or if you're lazy like me, a tbsp or 2 of minced garlic from the fridge (I use two because I love me some garlic).

While that is sauteing, combine the following ingredients:

3 tbsp soy sauce

1/2 cup orange juice

2 tbsp rice vinegar

1/4 cup orange marmalade

1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
 
Once the tofu turns a nice golden brown, add the mixture to the pan, being sure to coat the tofu evenly. After a few minutes, add 1 1/2 tbsps of cornstarch dissolved in water to the pan. Bring to a boil and cook until the sauce thickens to desired consistency.

















Serve with a grain and some veggies. I served mine with quinoa cooked in vegetable broth and a side of steamed broccoli. YUM!

















So as a side conversation, has anyone else been watching and enjoying this season of Biggest Loser?






















I have to say that I am really liking the changes they have made to the weigh-in/vote off process. I think that only making half of the people safe at this point makes for a more dramatic weigh in. I also love making the other half compete for safety. The one change that I am not loving, but can at least agree that it adds drama, is allowing the person with the highest percentage of weight loss to choose one of the unlucky half to "save." The reason why I don't like this is because you are giving a spot away to someone who doesn't necessarily deserve it. Theoretically, you could lose very little or no weight, but still get saved every week and make it to the end. I don't really think that's fair. At least the people who fall below the yellow line have to earn their safety in a challenge. I also don't see how this new yellow line system is going to work as they get down to fewer numbers. At some point they are going to have to go back to the regular way of 2 people being below the yellow line because you won't have enough people to really compete in a challenge. This will stop being effective at 10 people remaining (5 below the yellow line, one gets saved, so 4 people competing in the challenge with only 2 people winning their safety). I am interested to see what new directions they will go in this season.

Have you been watching Biggest Loser? Do you have any other go to recipes for tofu?

2 comments:

  1. I don't watch the Biggest Loser. It's not my thing. I love tofu though! This recipe looks great. I like to make a tofu sandwich with baked tofu, cranberry sauce, and a laughing cow wedge. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plain baked tofu? Or seasoned?

    ReplyDelete