Friday, October 15, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

Hi again. As I mentioned yesterday, last night's dinner was chicken enchiladas. For this yummy dinner you will need:

1lb of chicken (I use organic skinless)
1/2 jar of green salsa
1 jar of enchilada sauce
At least 2 cups of shredded mexican cheese
1/2 small onion (use more if you like onion, I don't so I use less)
1 1/2 tbsp of minced garlic (or 2 cloves of fresh)
2 tbsp of olive oil
6 whole wheat tortillas

First, chop up the onion and saute in a pan with the garlic and olive oil until caramelized. Set aside.
















Poach the chicken. Also known as boiling the chicken in water for about 12 minutes. Another option for poaching the chicken is to cook in the crockpot for 6 hours with regular salsa, which I meant to do but forgot so this is my shortcut version ;) Shred it with two forks (or your hands if you like playing with chicken).

Once the chicken is shredded, add 1 cup of the enchilada sauce, green salsa, 1 cup of cheese, the onion and garlic, and cayenne or chili powder if you want to kick things up a notch. Line the bottom of a casserole dish with some enchilada sauce. Add 1/6 of the chicken mixture to each tortilla and roll up, placing seam side down in the casserole dish. To finish, drizzle the enchiladas with a little sauce and sprinkle as much cheese as you think you can handle (for me it's a lot).
















Turn the oven on to 350, cover the enchiladas and cook for 10 minutes. Take the foil off and cook for another ten.
















Serve with whatever garnishes you like. My favs are sour cream and guacamole. I could eat mexican food everyday easily. Yum!

4 comments:

  1. I love enchiladas. I've never made them though. This doesn't look too complicated though. I should try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVEEEE MEXICANNN TOOOO!!!!!

    haha you're making me hungry for border cafe or margaritas ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly this recipe is SUPER easy. If you already have the chicken on hand, it makes it even easier. This is a new staple for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks delicious -- and so easy! i might try to make it with my daiya 'cheese'! i have missed enchiladas...

    and guacaomole is probably the best topping ever...to everything (pretty much)

    ReplyDelete