Monday, February 28, 2011

The Oscars are my Superbowl

I have a hangover today. An Oscar hangover. I gorged on red carpet and after party footage and I am feeling it today. I look a hot mess. So worth it though. If you didn't already know, the movies are my THING (well, one of my many things, but still, my THING). I live for awards season.

I started watching the red carpet coverage at 5 (in case you don't follow me on twitter and didn't get the benefit of my rants and raves for 7 hours). Red was definitely the color of the season. A lot of actresses rocked shorter hair as well. Makes me feel better about my own hairtastrophe (I was so horrified by the whole experience I couldn't even bring myself to post pictures of it). Luckily it's just hair and it grows back.

Best Dressed:

Anne Hathaway. Red is lovely on her.



















(source)

Jennifer Hudson. She looked amazing. Absolutely stunning.



















(source)

Halle Berry. All I can say about this dress is wow.






















(source)


Worst Dressed:


Cate Blanchett. WHAT was this?

















(source)

Nicole Kidman


















(source)


Honorable Mention:


Reese Witherspoon for best hair. Even though her dress looked like something I would have worn to my junior prom and she resembled the original Barbie, I still thought her hair was a breath of fresh air amidst all the long waves and short do's.



















(source)

Natalie Portman for the most gorgeous color. With a sea of neutrals and red, her jewel toned dress was gorgeous. But she gets a FAIL for the matchy matchy earrings.


















(source)

Now for my thoughts on the actual awards. I thought Melissa Leo was an unlikely choice to win, but I'm so glad she did. She was really fantastic in the Fighter. Christian Bale, however, completely stole the movie. His performance (in my opinion anyway) actually stole the entire year in film. As extreme as it may sound, I would nominate him in the best supporting role EVER category if there were one. No one deserved to win more than he did. I also loved his speech and his self deprecation.

I was surprised by the choice for Best Director in Tom Hooper. I thought that The King's Speech would win Best Picture, however, I was really thinking David Fincher had this category locked up. Goes to show how much I know.

Natalie Portman deserved to win Best Actress for Black Swan. No one else even had a chance. And her speech wasn't that bad, as she usually is so stiff and awkward that it's painful to watch. Colin Firth for Best Actor was no surprise either (so much so that I actually had this paragraph written BEFORE he actually won), though I would have preferred just about anyone else. I am not on the Colin Firth bandwagon like the rest of the world, sorry guys, I just don't love him. In truth I really wanted James Franco to win because 127 Hours was absolutely amazing, but I may have been alone with that.

And then what we all really came for...Best Picture. I was hoping and praying for The Fighter. Second best would have been 127 Hours and third would have been the Social Network. I of course knew that The King's Speech was going to win because it has been getting all of the buzz leading up to the Oscars. I am disappointed that it won (I know I may be alone in this one also) but I can't remember the last time the film that I wanted to win actually won.

As far as hosting goes, I think Anne Hathaway and James Franco did a decent job, although, having Billy Crystal as a presenter made me miss him as host. He is by far the best Oscar host. I adore James Franco, though I don't think his personality translates well as a host (he's a little bit of a stoner in case you couldn't tell). Anne Hathaway was personable and funny and all of her dresses were divine. That being said, I hope they go with a single host next year and it's someone with a strong personality. Like Alec Baldwin.

As usual, the ceremony seemed long and there were a lot of categories that no one really cared about and long speeches that dragged on. As much as I love the Oscars, usually by about 9:30 or 10, I am bored and have to multitask.  Does anyone else feel that they drag on and on? Either way, I definitely look forward to the Oscars every year. I try to see every nominee for best picture (which is difficult since they expanded the category) and anticipate the winner for months beforehand. Now I'm kind of sad they are over, because that means no good movies out until the summer blockbusters.


Did your favorites win? Who was your best/worst dressed? Or did you not even watch the Oscars?


P.S. Like The Cookie Battle on facebook! And follow me on Twitter!

13 comments:

  1. My favorite movie of the year was The Fighter! And I agree that Christian Bale's performance was one of the best EVER. He won that Oscar even in the first 5 minutes of the movie. I like King's Speech, but honestly, I didn't think any of the movies were off-the-charts amazing this year.

    Oh and was it me or the only thing more bizarre than James Franco was Justin Timberlake's presenting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie Portman definitely gave an amazing performance and deserved to win! I wish I had watched The King's Speech though... they swept the big categories. I actually really liked Scarlett Johannson's dress even though alot of people said it was too casual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with you on Cate Blanchett's dress. When I saw her walk on the stage I said to my husband, "Who looks at a dress like that and thinks it's amazing"! She is so pretty but that dress was not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was not a fan of Cate Blanchett's dress, but I hear it's getting rave reviews for being so very "fashion forward". Whatev.

    My favorites of the night included Mila Kunis (I know they said she played it safe, but I want that dress sooooo badly!), Anne Hathaway, and Halle Berry. Ditto on Nicole Kidman, though- that thing she was wearing did her no favors...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved Mila Kunis' dress! and I would love Jennifer Hudson's if her girls were a little more tucked away. In some shots, they looked super awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was totally sucked in to the Oscars. I started watching red carpet around 5:30 and didn't stop watching until I crawled into bed at 10:30. But I really did love the King's Speech and always love Colin Firth, so I was happy with that result. I love James Franco in general, but I'm not sure he was exactly right for hosting duties. But Anne Hathaway is such a fun personality and had AMAZING dresses. I think this year's Oscars were better than the past few years, but I don't really track that kind of thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree on Cate Blanchett--she is so beautiful, but that dress was a total fail! I think Portmans pregnancy has loosened her up a bit because youre right, she actually seemed down to earth in her speech!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm alone I think but I didn't really like Halle's look. The shoes were too severe and I feel like it's been done before. Loved Jennifer Hudson though! And agree about Natalie being too matchy - even the shoes were purple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was watching the red carpet crap they had on at like 2pm. I was dying for the real celebrities to get out there. Watching E! is painful sometimes.

    I love Natalie Portman and was so glad she won. James Franco and Anne Hathaway were terrible.

    I loved texting w/you during the awards. We HAVE to watch together next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was the first time I've EVER watched the Oscars, and I watched the whole thing! I thought Mila Kunis looked absolutely beautiful, and I loved the dress.

    I too had a "hangover" this morning, though, and overslept TWO HOURS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh love this review!! I thought that halle barry and jennifer hudson looked beautiful! Oh and anne hathaway

    I thought gweynth (althought looking too thin IMO) still rocked the dress she had on in that gold.

    Jennifer Lawrence who I have no idae who that is...looked INCREDIBLE in the red calvin Klein!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked Natalie Portman's dress, but didn't like her earrings or her hair. I'm so glad she won though, that was only thing I really cared about! I actually only made about an hour and a half into the awards before falling asleep. Like you said, it kind of got boring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with ALL your best/worsts!! I love Anne Hathaway and I loved all her dresses and that tux she wore. I thought the movie thing at the beginning was hysterical but you're right... Franco isn't really great as a presenter. And why was everyone making fun of Hugh Jackman??

    ReplyDelete