Monday, January 3, 2011

Balsamic Chicken Wrap

Just another manic monday ooo ooo ooo...wish it was sunday...who doesn't love the Bangles? Anyway, how was everyone's New Years? Mine was a blast until I woke up at 4am the morning after with an awful sickness. I was unable to keep pretty much anything but blueberries down the entire weekend. Let's just say that the boy crossed the threshold of seeing me at my worst. Nothing says romance like your boyfriend holding your hair back as you are vomiting up New Year's Eve appetizers and champagne. Luckily I am feeling closer to normal today.

Breakfast was a yogurt bowl. In the mix went a half cup of Vanilla Chobani greek yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, a drizzle of honey, and some granola for crunch.
















Today I actually wanted to give you a guys a quick and easy lunch idea, since most of the recipes I feature are dinners or desserts...and really, dinners and desserts are the easy part. Quick and easy on the go lunch ideas are not. I constantly struggle with keeping my lunch interesting. I am lucky enough to have a fridge and microwave at work, but I know not everyone does, so my balsamic chicken wrap is something you can make for lunch that doesn't require a microwave and can last in a lunchbox with a little icepack for a few hours.

This super easy to make wrap has become one of my new staples lately. I actually got the idea from Shape Magazine, just modified to suit my tastes (their version called for onions, but I don't care for onions). If you're making this ahead of time like I do, make the ingredients in this order for maximum flavor and freshness...it also eliminates sogginess. Everyone hates sogginess. First, mix together a tablespoon of pesto and two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.

















Next up, spoon in a heaping tablespoon of pico de gallo (I use Trader Joe's fresh mild salsa because it's almost exactly like pico with a lot of garlic which I love).
















Then cube up some cucumber (about 4 or 5 slices of cucumber is the perfect amount).
















Add some chopped chicken breast. Again, for simplicity's sake, I buy precooked chicken breast at Trader Joe's and just chop it up a little smaller for this wrap.
















Finally, add some chopped romaine on top, throw a wrap in a baggie, and you are ready to go! The dressing on the bottom will soak into the cucumbers and chicken, while the romaine stays crispy on top.
















When you're ready to eat, shake it up to coat the romaine and wrap it up!















Big fat juicy grapes on the side.















I have a book club meeting tonight that I am really looking forward to. This month's book was We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver. I highly recommend it. Reading is absolutely one of my favorite hobbies of all time and I love being able to talk about a book I've read with other people who have read it.

What great books have you read lately? Would you ever let your boyfriend/husband/BFF hold your hair when you were sick or do you have a strict no visitors policy?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing for lunch! I'll have to try it! I would totally let my bf hold my hair, if he can't handle that there is no future, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wrap! And those grapes are calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the wrap idea! I recently read The Help, which is highly recommended (great for a book club) and my all-time faves include The Pillars of the Earth and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will let anyone hold my hair when I'm sick. Who wants puke in their hair?
    Some great books I've read lately are The Help (like the commenter above), Her Last Death, Secret Diary Of A Call Girl, Forget About It, and Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain. I read a lot!

    The wrap looks great!

    ReplyDelete