Monday, January 17, 2011

Turkey Chili

Howdy! Today I want to share with you one of my favorite recipes. I make this dish a LOT because it freezes really well and is better the older it is. It also makes a large amount for leftovers. I typically make this on a sunday and freeze it in individual containers for an easy grab and go lunch.

Ingredients:

1 green pepper
1 yellow onion
2 zucchinis
3 14 oz cans of diced tomatoes with green chilis
1 14 oz can of pinto beans
1 14 oz can of kidney beans (light or dark)
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 tbsp light brown sugar
chili powder to taste
1 tbsp garlic
1 tbsp cumin
1 lb ground turkey

















Chop up the onion, pepper, and zucchini.

















Brown the turkey in a large wok. I use a wok because I find it's the best for cooking chili quickly. Using a large pot takes a little bit longer, so if you only have that and not a wok, add about a half hour to your simmer time at the end.

















Once the turkey is cooked, add in the veggies and spices and stir. I like my chili spicy so I add a ton of chili powder, but customize it to your particular taste.

































After a few minutes, once the veggies have begun to tender a little, add the diced tomatoes.

















Drain and rinse the beans.

















Add to the pot.


















Mix the ingredients well, turning the heat down to medium low. Let simmer for at least 45 minutes, an hour and fifteen if you are using a large pot.

Makes about 6 servings...or 4 if you are really hungry!

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. I just love chili! i've already planned to make a vegetarian batch this week, can't wait for the leftovers:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how versatile chili is. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made chili yet this season. Boooo. But after reading your post.. I think that might change soon :) Looks Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like my turkey chili too! I love zucchini in it. I also add some peanut butter to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE turkey chili! Or any chili for that matter :) It's so easy and makes so much! Love the idea of adding lots of veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love turkey chili. I make mine in a slow cooker and there are leftovers for days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chili is the perfect meal for the freezing cold weather I am living in right now! Its freezing and i am always looking fir new 'cold day' recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great that you make this on Sunday night... I always have high aspirations of doing something like that but rarely do.

    ReplyDelete