I'm not a picky eater by any means. At least, not in the conventional way you think of a picky eater. I can eat almost anything, I just eat it in a specific way. On occasion, I have even been known to order my food like this:
I have listed below ten more of my food confessions. This is by no means a complete list because the odd ways I eat food and the specific ways I like it prepared are endless.
1. I despise reduced fat anything. And I hate people that fool themselves into thinking that reduced fat cheese or reduced fat chips or reduced fat anything tastes the same. It doesn't. Plus, when you take the naturally occuring fat out of something (like cheese) you take out part of the nutrients as well...and more often than not, companies add extra stuff (like chemicals) to disguise the taste.
2. I eat candy in a very specific way. The best example of this is Reese's Pieces. I eat them in denominations of three, and it has to be three of the same color or three of all different colors. If I end up with just 1 or 2 left, I don't eat them. Which leads into my next confession...
3. I don't like to eat the green candies. If I am sharing with someone or if there is someone around, I try to give the green ones away. Green M&Ms, green Gobstoppers, green Sweet Tarts...I don't like any of them. Yes I know that the green M&Ms taste exactly the same as the other ones, it's just a matter of principal.
4. As mentioned previously, mold doesn't scare me. I just cut around it, scrape it off, whatever gets the job done so that I can eat. I know it's disgusting, but a little mold won't hurt you. For all those of you who scoff at me yet eat blue cheese...you know you're just eating moldy cheese, right? And if you have ever taken penicillin, you are taking MOLD. And it's good for you!
5. I like lettuce and tomato, but I pick it off fast food sandwiches. I hardly ever get fast food, but when I do and I order a sandwich or burger, I pick off the lettuce and tomato (the only healthy parts of the sandwich basically) because I can't stand hot lettuce or tomato. It skeeves me out. Mold I can handle. Hot foliage I can't. Go figure.
6. I love condiments, but I hate ketchup. I think I might be the only person in the world who doesn't like ketchup. The only instance I will eat it is on a burger, and the ratio of mustard to ketchup must be at least 2:1. If I need a condiment for my fries, I pick sour cream. Ketchup just does not do it for me.
7. I prefer almost all vegetables raw. They are more nutritious this way anyway.The main veggie I hate cooked is carrots. I love raw carrots and can eat them by the pound, but for whatever reason, the taste and texture of them when they are cooked really grosses me out.
8. I eat meat. And a lot of it. I know this probably turns some of my readers off, but sorry I'm not sorry. I was raised in a meat and potatoes household and yes, I've seen Food, Inc. and still eat meat. And I love it. I try to limit red meat because of the fat content, but I usually eat it at least once a week.
9. I eat my meals in order. My "order" means meat first, starch second, veggies last. I have always had this weird habit. I think it started because of temperature. Veggies are ok to eat cold, but the meat is not. So I have to eat the meat first while it's still warm. Plus it always seemed as though the meat was the most important part, so it should be eaten first.
10. I drink pickle juice straight from the jar. I get excited to finish a jar of pickles and am able to drink the yummy salty juice. I know I'm not the only one.
What are your weird food confessions?