Monday, November 1, 2010

The Way I Spin

Score one for me! Monday goals were met. I had a green monster for dinner and I made it to my 5:30 spin class. This morning I spent an hour doing what I love, reading blogs. I also only ate one dessert today. So I met my goals for the day.


















Spin class tonight actually wasn't all that great. I have mentioned before that spin classes have a huge variety depending on instructor. The music makes the class. If the music isn't good, I just don't get as much out of the class. Whereas if the music is rockin' I can totally get into it and give it 150% effort. Tonight was a mixed bag. Some songs were AWESOME (a little Get Connected and Fame) and some songs were AWFUL (something in french and something else from the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack I think). Also, tonight's instructor had a 10 minute "warmup" that didn't even have me breaking a sweat. So really I only got 35 minutes worth of an actual workout (class is 45 minutes). Plus a few minutes into the class I started having bike trouble. The chain was clicking inside the bike, making a loud noise and making it hard for me to keep my pedal stroke smooth. Luckily the instructor hopped off his bike to go set another up for me so I could just switch bikes without losing my rhythm and elevated heart rate. Even though class wasn't the greatest I'd ever been to, it was a good way to get back on the health wagon.

Breakfast was cereal. Lunch was a disaster. I was having some trouble getting a prescription refilled, so I spent 45 minutes of my lunch at Walgreen's trying to get it all sorted out, which left me only 15 minutes to eat and get back to work. So I was stuck scouring the aisles of Walgreens for something that I could eat while driving and had some substance to it. Of course they had nothing, so I ended up grabbing a bag of beef jerky and some potato skin chips. I ate most of the bag of jerky and a small handful of chips. Certainly not a healthy or filling lunch. I already stuffed the remaining potato skins in the boy's lunch tomorrow so I won't be tempted to eat them.

Pre-workout snack was a pumpkin cupcake. Now I know what you're thinking, that's not a healthy pre-workout snack, but let me tell you why it is. It has a veggie in it. Pumpkin is a veggie, even in cupcake form, didn't you know that?? Also, the extra little sugar rush from the frosting fueled my workout. Ok so maybe not really, but it tasted damn good and I had yet to have my dessert item for the day.




















When I got back from my workout, I made a green monster smoothie to refuel. In the mix went a half a bag of spinach, 1/2 scoop of strawberry protein powder, 1 scoop of Amazing Grass, 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries, 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries, and 1/2 cup of frozen mango. YUM.


























You know what I realized today friends?? It's November 1st and you know what that means? Holiday music in stores. Having worked in the retail industry, I can tell you that holiday music is pure torture. Particularly when you work for a European store that plays weird holiday music, over and over and over. Until you're borderline suicidal. There were a few regular American songs played too, and I will never be able to listen to those again with joy. That being said, I am looking forward to the first time I get to hear Dominic the Christmas Donkey on the radio. You have heard this classic, right? NO? Well here it is for you. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love spin, but definitely agree that the music and instructor make SUCH a difference.

    Sounds like you had a great day with what you were working towards. And you made the best of your work lunch situation. Sometimes things like that happen and we just have to roll with it.

    ReplyDelete