Thursday, August 19, 2010

Back in the Saddle!

Howdy bloggies! Sorry for the long hiatus while I was living the life in the Dominican :( But the good news is I'm back in the saddle and back into my routine. That is, until I have to move again in two weeks, ugh! I come home from vacation and had to immediately start packing. No rest for the weary! Anyway, breakfast this morning was oatmeal with protein powder and a scoop of nutella (you're shocked, I know)...and then lunch was my own special creation. A modified caprese salad of sorts...















In this bowl of deliciousness went:

1/2 box of whole wheat rotini
1/2 quart of cherry tomatoes
about 20 kalamata olives, chopped in half
1/2 ball of mozzarella (I would guess about 6 ounces)
6 tbsp of pesto
3 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp of minced garlic
salt & pepper to taste

These ingredients will make about 4 servings. Or 3 if you're a hungry girl like me. I got the idea for this coming back from the DR on tuesday. During my layover in JFK, I went for the salad bar at the Cibo restaurant and they had the caprese (tomatoes and mozzarella) next to some pasta salad. I put both in my container and they got a little mixed together, which ended up being quite delicious, so I thought, why not make the two together at home? And this is what I came up with. I went a little heavy on the pesto and olive oil because when I only did 2 tbsps of each, it didn't look like enough to coat the 1/2lb of pasta, so I added more. In hindsight, I could have used a little less. Next go around I'm going to add a splash of lemon juice and more salt.

Dinner tonight will be some cold chicken (I bought a whole cooked chicken at the supermarket on a whim yesterday and I have to say I will be doing it again because it's really tasty and moist and convenient to have in the fridge for picking) and carrots. No starches in the evenings anymore. They are too heavy in my stomach lately.

I suppose I should do some work since that's what I get paid for. Until later!

No comments:

Post a Comment